Monday, May 11, 2009

Urgent Prayer Request


Spencer is almost 18 months, is in the PICU. He has had quite a time in his short life. He was born with hypo-plastic left heart syndrome and had two open heart surgeries before the age of one. Everything has gone great since then.


This past week he caught a GI bug with fevers and diarrhea. Last Sunday morning he woke up covered in bruises and with hematomas on his tongue. His mom and dad took him to the hospital where he was found to have platelets of 5. He was diagnosed with ITP, a condition where your body attacks it's own platelets, which help blood to clot. This is sometimes caused at random by infections.


He was subsequently taken by ambulance to a bigger hospital. Monday night he got a round of WinRho. He was doing so well that they were thinking of discharging him, but that night Spence had suddenly become unresponsive and they were taking him to CT. Spence had a large intracranial bleed. He was rushed to the or, where a craniotomy was performed. He was there for 3 1/2 hours, but they couldn't get the bleeding to stop despite their best efforts. His skull was left open and he was sent to the ICU with a pretty grim prognosis. They pushed platelets and steroids. He went back to the OR for a splenectomy in hopes of boosting the platelets to slow the bleeding. Spencer went to the OR again due to swelling, to have his frontal bone removed in the hopes of giving the brain more room. The swelling was worse and there appeared to be multiple areas of stroke.


The latest news today (Monday at 5pm) is that Spencer has developed blood clots on his lungs. Blood oxygen saturation is usually in high 70s for Spencer because of his heart condition, but is in low 60s now. Doctors can't give blood thinner to deal with clots because of brain bleed and so have again told the family that they don't expect him to live much longer.


Please pray for Spencer and his family. Side note his mother is also seven months pregnant.

7 comments:

Amy B said...

Oh My heart is just hurting for this sweet little guy and his family. I know how scared they must be. I have been there and am still there and it is a hard thing to watch and wait and not know. I am up praying tonight for the whole family. Please let us know a update as soon as you hear one. I just so hope he takes a turn for the better...GOD IS GOOD and Miracles can happen.

Sass said...

Absolutely.

Without a doubt.

Praying with all my heart.

And the world needs so many more people like you...to help us know when someone needs a little extra.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Elaine at Matters of the Heart) said...

Oh my word, this just broke my heart. I will be lifting this family and little man in prayer.

DysFUNctional Mom said...

How terribly sad and scary. My prayers are with them.

Denise said...

Oh my heart just breaks for them! OF COURSE I will pray for all of them!!! I am so sad to hear all this!

Amy Kate said...

I'm praying over here for them. I can't imagine how scary this has to be, and I'll be keeping him in my thoughts. Please keep us posted.

sanjeet said...

I just so hope he takes a turn for the better...GOD IS GOOD and Miracles can happen.
Work from home India